A Ceviche Tostada is the perfect summer treat. Ceviche is a dish where the seafood (fish, shrimp etc) is marinated in citrus to denature the protein curing it and giving it a cooked appearance, then mixing in flavourful veggies.
Our friend Alex (@se.vus) made this dish and shared the recipe for you to try at home.
For the Ceviche
- 500 grams of prawns (more or less depending on preference)
- 1/2 a red onion – thinly sliced, rubbed with kosher salt, and rinsed in with cold water
- 5 or 6 limes- juiced (or more to cover the prawns)
- jalapeno – seeded and thinly sliced
- a few cilantro stems
- a three finger pinch of kosher salt (table salt is fine but use half as much)
For the Tostada
- 8 large MAiiZ Tortillas
- 1 avocado
- Lime juice and salt to taste
De-vein prawns (if they need it, spot prawns often don’t) and chop into whatever size pieces you want. In a non-reactive bowl, toss prawns, half the sliced onion, half the sliced pepper, the cilantro stems, the lime juice, and a good pinch of salt and put it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
Take the mixture out of the fridge and remove the cilantro stems. Spoon the mixture onto tostadas, chips, or into a bowl, top with the remaining sliced onions and peppers, along with some cilantro leaves, I added chive flowers to these because why not.
The tostadas were day old MAiiZ Tortillas brushed lightly with oil and baked at 350F for ~10 minutes.
The guacamole was avocado, lime juice, and salt (I kept it on the simple and low acidity side since the ceviche has a lot of lime)
Recipe by Alex (@se.vus) check out more recipes on our page, and send us any recipes you love!